Heading out to the club but don’t know what to wear Or have you ever been turned away by a nightclub bouncer for not following the Nightclub dress code?
Both of these are frustrating! But Every club has its own style and rules for what you can and can’t wear to get in.
This article breaks down the most common nightclub dress code rules. You’ll learn dress code basics for both men and women so you can pick an outfit that will pass the bouncer’s inspection.
With these tips, you’ll avoid the dreaded rejection at the door and breeze right into even the hottest club in town looking on point. Keep reading and get ready to dress to impress on your next big clubbing night out!
Nightclub Dress Codes for Men and Women
Before you step in to check out the nightclub dress codes we want you to know that the clothing guidelines differ as per the country, region, club, theme, etc. but most of the nightclubs have these common rules for the attire.
General Dress Code Considerations
The requirements for dress codes can vary greatly between different nightclubs and types of nights, with some being more casual while others may require smart casual attire. It is important to consider the kind of atmosphere that each club offers in order to select an appropriate outfit.
Generally speaking, it’s best not to wear shorts or flip-flops as they indicate a much lower level of sophistication than other items such as button up shirts and chinos for men, or blouses, dresses, or skirts for women.
Certain clubs also have dress codes banning sneakers from either guys or girls due to their sporty nature. However there are certain occasions where trainers are acceptable if chosen carefully.
Female Nightclub Dress Code Guidelines
- Ladies should opt for stylish, dressy and tasteful outfits when dressing for nightclubs and bars.
- Cocktail attire is the most common dress code accepted by most clubs, including Jumpsuits, shorts or other club-appropriate separates.
- Jeans that are dark and form – fitting are allowed under certain circumstances, but baggy or ripped jeans are generally not appropriate.
- Skirts should be pencil skirts or mid – length hemlines that are not too short.
- Decolletage can be visible as long as it is tasteful and nothing too revealing is worn on the upper half of the body.
- Tops should consist of silk, button downs, flowy tops that hide any lingerie straps easily, modest tank tops/crop tops or solid printed shirts in neutral colors.
- Women are usually suggested to wear fashionable polish shoes with low heels (2-3 inches) to avoid tripping or accidents. An upstyle hairdo or a sleek ponytail would look great for nightlife events; however glamorous makeup would enhance her whole look.
- Hats and accessories, such as scarves or statement jewelry can add an interesting touch to an outfit while maintaining the dress code guidelines.
Male Nightclub Dress Code Guidelines
- Generally, closed-in shoes are required – like formal Oxfords or dress boots; no sandals, sneakers, or casual shoes should be worn.
- Long pants such as khakis or trousers should be worn and avoid shorts of any kind; jeans may also be allowed but some clubs prohibit excessively baggy or torn styles.
- A collared shirt with a full button down is commonly seen in nightclubs — t-shirts must have a collar, while polo shirts may also fit the dress code of some venues; graphic tees can usually slip by if they’re subtle enough.
- Jackets and other types of outerwear are not necessarily required but can provide an edge to otherwise basic outfits; blazers add a smarter touch for semi-formal nights out, while leather jackets give off a cool rocker vibe when paired with dark wash jeans and combat boots on certain occasions depending on the atmosphere in the club scene at that time.
What to Wear to Nightclubs
It is important to know the dress codes for clubs and choose an outfit that reflects the atmosphere desired.
Tips On Choosing The Right Outfit
- Pay attention to the dress code enforced at each nightclub. Do your research ahead of time to make sure you meet the required standards for clothing and footwear.
- Find out what is appropriate for a particular night by researching online or asking friends who frequent clubs regularly about their preferred nights out attire.
- Dress up but don’t overdo it; find an outfit that is stylish yet comfortable so as not to be overdressed in comparison with other clubbers on the dance floor or around the bar area.
- Take note of which colors are popular among those attending the club, as wearing those can give you an edge when planning your own look for going out at night (such reds, intense blues etc).
- For ladies, show off some skin without overexposing yourself – mini skirts and dresses, shorts paired with blouses & tank tops are ideal saviours! Bring along statement pieces such as necklaces or dainty jewelry items that will add a ‘wow’ factor to any simple outfit choices you decide upon earlier in advance..
Nightclub Dress Code Recommendations For Men
- Avoid wearing athletic apparel such as tracksuits, jerseys, and basketball shorts.
- Closed-in shoes such as dress shoes or boots are preferred over sandals, sneakers, or flip-flops.
- Denim jeans and chinos that don’t have too many tears or rips can be worn with shirts thathave collars, button ups, turtlenecks etc..
- Jackets should be tailored to fit properly and not cover all the way down to your knees; bomber jackets are a popular option among clubgoers just make sure they’re of a dark color .
- Bandanas are often prohibited so avoid them for safety reasons.
- Dress conservatively – ripped clothing is discouraged across the board in most clubs; hats and headgear may also not allowed so double-check beforehand if you plan on wearing any.
- Be aware that some clubs enforce specific restrictions like no white attire while other nightclubs will allow streetwear gear unless it falls into other restricted categories mentioned above
Nightclub Dress Code Recommendations For Women
- Bodycon skirts, jeans or jumpsuits paired with cute tops are great options for women.
- For more upscale nightlife,consider a pencil skirt or dress pants matched with a nice silk top and high heels.
- Sheer clothing items such as off-the-shoulder dresses and mesh garments can be good choices too if teamed up correctly with the right footwear and accessories.
- Crop tops combined with midi skirts also make classy night club attire in warmer climates.
- Avoid tattered clothes that are too revealing; nightclubs often have rules against showing excessive skin or wearing provocative clothing items deemed unsuitable for their premises by management teams.
What Not to Wear to Nightclubs
Avoiding making any wardrobe mistakes is key in ensuring you have an enjoyable night. Make sure to always check the specific dress code of each individual club before dressing for the occasion!
Common Fashion Mistakes To Avoid –
- Wearing streetwear or casual clothing
- Sportswear, especially if it is plain, untidy, and dirty
- Short shorts or pants for men
- Unsuitable shoes such as flats or sneakers for women
- Corporate – style outfits such as strips and checks
- Tops that are overly casual or plain
- Anything too revealing
Items Typically Prohibited By Dress Codes –
Ball caps, sportswear, activewear, and flip-flops are typically not allowed in nightclubs. Wearing these items can make you appear too casual or unfashionable.
Moreover, some clubs may view them as threatening since such attire is commonly associated with gangs and other groups that cause disruption inside venues.
Now you’re an expert on how to dress to meet nightclub dress code rules! Follow the guidelines for clean, stylish clothes in dark colors that fit properly and aren’t too revealing. Avoid casual fabrics and dirty sneakers. Look put together, even sexy, just not sloppy.
For guys, wear an ironed button-down, dark jeans, and dress shoes. For ladies, don a dark fitted dress or top paired with heels. With these fail-proof outfit formulas, you’ll look like a VIP and breeze right into the club.